Internet of Things (IoT)
It's about - Controlling, Monitoring, Measuring, and Analysis of Electrical Use
The IoT is all about connecting devices through the Internet. What's a device, you ask? We define a device as anything that uses Electrical Power - for example, lights in the office, corridor, or on the street, Heat and Air (HVAC), and Equipment of all sorts.
Using a wireless network and a combination of sensors and intelligent software, IoT systems allow the business to group and control devices to force conservation of Electricity. We do this by defining collections of devices that may be managed using the same schedule and power profile (time on or off or reduced power), For each collection using software we define a schedule which manipulates energy use to force conservation.
Buildings become alive when in real time we can Monitor the energy use of any collection or device in the building or portfolio. Warning triggers are set to notify key staff by text, email, or phone when a predefined condition has been met that requires their attention. Visualization of performance allows us to predict failure while monitoring the efficiency of each device, collection, building, or portfolio.
When the software is designed to collect data from each device, analytics allows us to turn this data into actionable results. We know in advance when an HVAC fan will fail or when critical equipment needs maintenance. This knowledge allows us to increase productivity and substantially reduce operational cost within the portfolio.
What's Required to achieve these results?
Managed Green is accelerating Smart Building innovation with the deployment of IOT. We do this with four layers of infrastructure in your building:
- LED Lighting Retrofit reduces electrical consumption to maximize your savings (our process is different - learn more)
- Software makes centralized management and analytics of the system easy and fast
- A wireless mesh network provides local and networked controls, monitoring, and management
- End point devices from a large set of vendors run on open standards to make your application "Future Proof"
With this strategy our solutions are scalable, easy to deploy, and most importantly, easy to use.
Enterprise IoT System Requirements
- Operate across multiple building types and spaces: The underlying technology must be capable of being deployed across all building types and spaces. This may include large or small commercial office buildings, warehouses, or retail locations across one or many buildings (portfolio).
- Enterprise connectivity: The network infrastructure must be sufficiently pervasive in and around the building to ensure that devices can be added easily, both during initial deployment, and later, during expansion without requiring significant technical support.
- Reliable and resilient: The system must be capable of working within harsh environments without failure. It must be resilient to failure conditions.
- Integration with enterprise systems: Provide the wealth of data that can be transformed into actionable intelligence at any point, device to enterprise. To make the data portable, our systems export data in common interface formats such as REST/JSON and XML making every data point available to enterprise software.
- Future proof: Open standards with broad industry-support deliver a wide variety of products driving down the cost of ownership.
- Cost-effective: Leveraging a single system to deliver OT and many IoT requirements will create a low cost of ownership at the device and through the enterprise. The organization will realize this low cost on Day One.